Back to top

The Blog-thing

Thoughts, experiments, and [over]sharing
When doing my work, sometimes I need to get information out of a .blend file. For example, I sometimes need to do batch image processing (renaming, file conversion, etc.) on my rendered output. There’s not a nice way to just query the .blend file for that information. Sure, there’s BAM and even the old blenderaid tools, but they’re a bit heavy-handed if you don’t have them installed. So here’s the hacky solution I’m currently using…
Junglebook: Simple Kindle Ebook Cover Analysis
I got myself good and distracted from my regular project work and ended up writing the start of a little script that I’m calling JungleBook. It’s makes images that are pretty and interesting… and might just provide a little bit analytical benefit.
OK, OK… I know that I haven’t posted anything new here since May. However, it only looks like I’ve been on a summer vacation. In reality, this has been a surprisingly busy summer for me. And the approaching last quarter of this year doesn’t appear to be slowing down. Not one little bit. So what have I been up to? Let’s scurry through the the list…
One of the rewards for my Kickstarter campaign is a daily tear-off calendar, with a lie from Definitely True: Year One on each page of the calendar. It’s actually at the printer being made right now (woohoo!). One of the fun things about a tear-off calendar is that it’s built exactly like a simple flipbook. So I couldn’t resist adding a little animation to the bottom of each page…
The Kickstarter Cometh
Assuming all of the approvals go through and there are no hiccups, then within the next 24 hours, I’m going to be launching my first ever Kickstarter campaign…
Clean Reader? I Dunno...
So this has been circulating the interwebbernets today a bit and it got me thinking. So much so, that it got me writing here. With any luck, it’ll get you thinking, too.
You may or may not have noticed that I have a little graphic to accompany my daily lies (now being shared over on Definitely True). Well… I made that in Blender. And for fun, I recorded a timelapse of the whole process. Of course, I didn’t have any epic music to lay over the video, so instead I hastily recorded a voice over to describe the various steps I took in the process. It’s quick n’ dirty, but I think it does the job pretty nicely for now.
Wherein I try to figure out what version control system is best suited for my needs on my personal projects. Really, it’s kind of a cry for help…