Yay! Another Open Source Creative Podcast episode. In this one, I have a long conversation with myself about the nature of art and open source software as it pertains to selfishness. Is art inherently selfish? Is it not? Is that a bad thing? And likewise for Free Software. Yeah… it’s an interesting thing and it was stuck in my head because of a handful of tweets with Chris Oatley, Stephen Brooks, and Amanda Carbine (and that’s the beauty of Twitter, by the way… I don’t know any of these people, but it was cool to have a conversation with them). Anyhow, have a listen and let me know your thoughts.
But first…. a few personal news linkage bits:
- Blender For Dummies, 3rd edition was released. Woohoo!
- As a result, I re-launched BlenderBasics.com as the official Blender For Dummies website with a bunch of written tutorials there
- And, thanks to the generous backers of my Kickstarter campaign, I was able to purchase a block of 100 ISBNs and I’ve started the publishing process for my first indie book, Definitely True: Year One, under my M. J. Guns pen name. The ebook is currently available for pre-order on Amazon and Kobo… and both the print version and the ebook will be available on all the other book selling sites shortly. Wheeeee!
And… in open source creative software news:
- Blender transparency blog – The first blog post for this isn’t up yet, but there’s a [mostly] healthy discussion about it over on BlenderArtists.org
- Blender Animation Studios developing Agent 327 – A new development for Blender animation… a feature film based on a Dutch comicbook character. Sweet.
- Krita 3.1 Kickstarter campaign – They’re trying to raise loot for faster painting and [my personal favorite] animation features. Donate!
- Blender Conference call for participation – The conference is at the end of October. See if you can get accepted for a talk
Open source creative software releases:
And one last thing that I forgot to mention… I’m speaking SELF, the SouthEast LinuxFest, in Charlotte, North Carolina. SELF is in June, from the 12th to the 14th. I’ll be talking about producing cool creative things with open source software. I’ve never been to a Linux conference before so it should be a lot of fun. If you’re going to be there, come track me down.
And that’s about it. See you next episode.